- Disney’s Hotstar streaming service in India has set a new record with 59 million concurrent viewers during a cricket game, surpassing the previous milestone of 53 million viewers.
- Hotstar now has a clear lead over rival JioCinema, which peaked at 32 million concurrent viewers earlier this year.
- Hotstar has lost more than 23 million subscribers in the past year, according to Disney, while the company is evaluating the future of its business in India.
- Disney has held talks with Reliance, among other firms, exploring options for its India business.
- Ambani’s Viacom18 has poached several top Star India executives and will spend $3 billion to stream the IPL cricket tournament for five years, while Disney is also spending $3 billion on broadcasting the matches on TV.
Disney’s Hotstar just hit it out of the park with a new record of 59 million viewers during a cricket game. It’s safe to say that cricket in India is hotter than a vindaloo curry. Hotstar now has a clear lead over JioCinema, but it’s not all sunshine and rainbows for Disney. Hotstar has lost over 23 million subscribers in the past year, which is painfully ironic considering Disney’s streaming ambitions. They’re holding onto the India market for dear life, like Mufasa clinging to that cliff. But with Reliance and Viacom18 making moves, it’s like lions duking it out for control of Pride Rock. Hakuna matata, Disney, there’s always another game to stream. Just remember, it’s all fun and games until someone loses 23 million subscribers.
Original Article: https://techcrunch.com/?p=2631236