- Patek Philippe launched a new rainbow Aquanaut watch with minute repeater complication “for ladies.”
- The author questions the use of full rainbow gem setting on the case and bracelet and gender labeling these gem-set watches.
- The author believes that women’s watch design should be based on the preferences of women themselves.
- The Aquanaut Luce “Rainbow” Minute Repeater Haute Joaillerie Reference 5260/355R-001 comes in rose gold with multicolored baguette-cut sapphires and diamonds.
- Another reference, paved throughout with baguette-cut diamonds and multicolored baguette-cut sapphires, also includes gem setting on the case band and slide-piece.
- The author appreciates Patek Philippe’s provocation with these watches but questions the marketing strategy for watches targeted at women.
- Additionally, three new gem-set Nautilus watches were introduced, which the author appreciates.
- The author suspects Patek Philippe worked with a Geneva-based gem-setting company called Salanitro.
- These new Nautilus models reference old gem-set 3800 models, which were marketed toward men.
I have mixed feelings about Patek Philippe’s new rainbow Aquanaut watch. On one hand, I appreciate the brand taking risks and the use of gemstones. On the other hand, the full rainbow gem setting might be a bit much, and the gender labeling feels outdated. I believe that women’s watch design should be based on what women actually want, rather than relying on stereotypes. That being said, the watches themselves are undeniably impressive, with beautiful gem settings and intricate complications. I just wish that Patek Philippe would offer a range of sizing options to cater to different preferences. As for the gem-set Nautilus watches, I have no complaints there. They are stunning and I can get behind them. Overall, Patek Philippe’s new offerings are a mix of boldness and formulaic choices, but they certainly make a statement.
Original Article: https://www.hodinkee.com/articles/patek-philippe-releases-a-rainbow-aquanaut-luce-minute-repeater-for-ladies